The Mad House!


Some say that the parents’ home is the best… I think that it is more of an overstatement…Those who say that do not live with their parents… Obviously…I do…And I can tell you they are the worse, maybe more like your enemies…And I will tell you why…

 

My parents fight like cats and dogs every single day…I swear, you just want to bang your head against the wall when they start at it…Even hubby says that this home is like a ‘pagal khana’, translated to a ‘mad house’, and he is probably right…

 

I know I am supposed to respect them for being my elders but is not respect kind of a mutual thing?! And I am not saying that they need to fall on my feet or something for sorting things for them like how to restore the WhatsApp, or how to check the email or how to search for something on the internet  or typing letters amongst others but I am talking about being disrespectful when I am snoozing by keeping the voice or the YouTube down…Or barging into my room to ask if I am sleeping…For God’s sake, can’t you see?!

 

As soon as my dad used to wake up, he would put 'bhajans' and spiritual discourses to play on YouTube and since I am such a light sleeper, I would wake up so irritated…Do you know what empathy is for Heaven's sake?! And he talks as if he is the espouse of great values as taught by his Guru…Heck, you cannot even embrace respect as a value!

 

And he has become a great advocate of Modi and listens to the political assaults in the Indian assembly all day long and if you have never heard of these before, let me tell you that these Indian politicians are pretty loud and everyone is speaking offensively at the very same time with no one lending ears to the other…

 

My dearest dad might not know anything that happens in his beloved country, but he sure as hell knows what is happening in India…Dear Modi Sir, if by any chance you happen to read this blog, come and take my Dad along…He will be at your service day and night for free…That I can assure you…He will be more of use to you than to us…

 

And that is why, I have decided to switch off the WIFI which happens to be in my room when I go to bed and switch it back on when I wake up…Luckily, my dad does not know where the switch for WIFI is…Yes, you can call me the ‘badass daughter’ but I am sure you can do without the WIFI for 7 hours…

 

My mum is a ‘know it all’…As soon as you open your mouth to tell her something, she already gives you an essay on it and then you curse yourself for opening your mouth in the first place…

 

On top of that, she is a total drama queen…everything you tell her, she takes that personally and she will play the victim until you roll your eyes at her, and tell her that on her face…And there will be the famous hysteria, where she starts screaming like a banshee and she will end up locking herself in the room, like a spoilt brat…She will always be telling us that she did this for our grandparents, for us, for Dad, that she used to go sleep at 3am everyday and blah blah blah…But why do it in the first place and then complain?! You should have been like me… Do nothing and then let people complain about you!!!

 

My dad has threatened to kick me out of the house more than ten times since I started living with them almost four years ago and that is my dad I am talking about…Not my stepdad or anything! He is so pigheadedly stubborn…I remember he created quite a scene in front of the recruits when I wanted to embellish a couple of rooms at home by painting them anew, changing the curtains and alter the sofa garment from my very own savings!

 

He is always lecturing me to ‘teach this mantra to your son’, ‘teach him some yoga poses’, ‘teach him how to meditate’…Well you stay with him too, so teach him yourself instead of preaching…

 

My dad is always giving advice to everybody. Though lucid, no one really asked for it but still…And he is more like a ‘do as I say, not as I do’ kind of person as he does the complete opposite…Sometimes, I think his common sense left him the day he retired…The amount of bad decisions he took after 60 is unrivalled and he takes them all without consulting anybody and that has made him lose considerable amount of money adding another storey to the house which was not needed, paying crooks for work not completed or effected erroneously and wasting capital on bad investments…

 

On top of that, he likes to play the doctor to himself and to others like him…You are lucky enough to have a son and a sister in law who are pros in the medical field and who are a call away so stop behaving like a child and listen to their advice…Because of his self-administration of which medicine to take today and tomorrow to treat his diabetic condition, he almost lost his life once in a terrible car accident... Luckily he came out with only a few scratches but my mum’s brand new car suffered a wreck but still my dad bore no lesson out of this…

 

My parents are total hoarders…We live in a really big home with so many rooms…Of course, now that I and the little one are staying here, there is less space for them but let me tell you had the house been as big as the Queen’s palace, still there will not be enough space to keep their stuff…My mum is always buying new stuff but never gives away her old stuff, despite torn or tainted or haven’t been worn for almost a decade…

 

And whenever I talk about giving that to Miss or Mrs so and so, the excuses come uninvited and the tears might roll down too…My mum actually thinks that some one must be deserving enough to get her washed out clothes…Grow up Mother! Get rid of your old stuff to make way for the new things rather than keeping them in suitcases under the bed…And truth be told, even our maids are better dressed than us sometimes…

 

My dad, on the other hand, does not buy anything…Well, he will probably waste his savings on other big stuff, as highlighted above…But apparel, shoes, caps, ties, belts etc have been bestowed to him…But he will NOT give them away at any cost despite that they are lying untouched in his wardrobe for almost 15 years…

 

Actually both my parents probably could only buy anything they wished for late in life so I pretty much understand that they want to keep the stuff…But would you not wish to give it to someone who cannot buy those stuff that you are keeping in your wardrobe to be left rotten?! Out of all these people, I think you should be able to understand the have-nots better and grant them nice things while they are still pleasant and not when they are already torn or discolored…

 

Knowing how they are, I took out things little by little till I got around 10 big bags full to give away so as to create more space in the house…Even then, my dad used to rummage through the bags and took things out…But most of the things I gave away, my parents have not even felt their disappearance…The house was instantly less stuffy and gave way for new beginnings…I do not quite understand what message you are trying to put up there when you are so attached to your old stuff?! Are you that weak that you cannot let go?! Do you not want new things to come in?!

 

I might sound like a very ungrateful daughter…Well, maybe I am…But I was better loved when I was away from them on a foreign land and we used to miss each other…Wanting to stay with your parents is a bit too much of a request if you ask me…And I believe you can only stay with your parents till you are 35 (well in the Mauritian context) and after that, you are bound to have your own place…If you are unmarried yet, just get out of your parents’ home before things start to get sour and it is actually coming from someone who is currently living it…So believe me when I say so…

 

For fear that I might get kicked out of the house for real this time, I will stop here, hoping that this does not reach my parents and I just hope that I do not become like them when I grow older…

 

 

Disclaimer: No harm intended for anybody especially my dearest parents…

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Mom during the Pandemic = Pandemonium

Sleep Deprivation

Happy Freaking Wedding Anniversary to me!!!